Welcome to the Town of Grottoes, Virginia
Home > Resident Services > Zoning Information

Zoning Information

To construct a new building, make a structural alteration, install signage or fencing, or conduct a significant repair to your property, you must first obtain a Zoning Permit from the Town of Grottoes Zoning Administrator and then a Building Permit from the Rockingham County Office of Community Development. Zoning permits establish setback requirements and similar regulations. Building permits are issued by the County and all inspections are handled by Rockingham County building officials.

To apply for a zoning permit, you will need to schedule an appointment with the Town Manager/Zoning Administrator and will be asked to provide the following information:

  • Name and Address of Property Owner
  • Name and Address of Contractor
  • Dimensions of Building/Addition/Signage
  • Plot Plan and Plat (if applicable)
  • Construction Plans (if applicable)
  • Estimated Cost of Project
  • Estimated Date of Completion

The cost for a zoning permit is $2.50/$1,000 cost of the project, with a minimum fee of $30.

For questions about obtaining a zoning permit or to schedule an appointment, you may contact the Town Office at (540) 249-5896.

For questions about obtaining a building permit, you may contact the Rockingham County Office of Community Development at (540) 564-3030.

The official zoning map can viewed in the office of the Town Manager, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

The Town of Grottoes has the following zoning districts:

B1 General Business District
B2 Planned Business District
B3 Business District
R1 Low Density Residential District
R2 Residential District
R3 Residential Limited District
R6 Manufactured Housing District
R7 Planned Business District
M1 Light Industrial District
I1 General Industrial District

Click here for a table of regulations for each zoning district. For more specific information about a particular zoning district, please refer to Section 100 of the Town Code.

A Development Guide for Projects in the Town of Grottoes


Other Relevant Applications:

Home Occupations Permit

Planned Business District Request

Rezoning Request

Special Use Permit Application

Variance Permit

The information contained on this page is for general purposes only and may not contain the most current information. For answers to more specific questions or concerns, or to receive the latest information possible, please contact the Town office at 540-249-5896.